Do you know one-third of kids (1 to 4 yrs. old) die from drowning? You will be surprised by a report published by the CDC.
Good news is, you can still save your kids from just a little pool safety tip .
In this article, I will share with you 17 actionable swimming pool safety tips and rules.
If you implement these safety guidelines, unintentional injuries in pools will be a thing of the past.
Tip #1. Install a Swimming Pool Enclosure with a Lock System
Why do I recommend this?
A swimming pool enclosure will be a perfect barrier. It will prevent your kids from accessing the pool without your knowledge.
I see some people opting for swimming pool fence. I don’t recommend them if no cost issue. Your cunning kids will simply find a way to climb over the fence.
Image Source:Life Saver
Here is why I have endorsed swimming pool enclosure with locking mechanisms:
- They are constructed from solid polycarbonate sheets and extruded aluminum rods. The structure is strong and durable – rated wind speed is 23km/hr. and distributed load of 900kg in 1.5m.
- A lockable gate with self-latching mechanism.
- Ability to install swimming pool alarms, thus kids can access the pool unnoticed.
- Swimming pool enclosure prices are quite affordable.
- They are easy to install and guarantee an extended swimming season.
Please, don’t let your kids drown if you can prevent this disaster from happening.
Other sources of information:
- 16 Benefits of Polycarbonate Swimming Pool Enclosures (Ultimate List )
- Safety Barriers Guidelines for Residential Pools
- How Much Does The Outdoor Pool Enclosures Cost($10,000 Saving Tips)
Tip #2: Let No One Dupe to You : Swimming Lesson is a Must
Kids drown because they lack swimming skills. Allowing kids in the pool area without such skills implies you want them to drown. Making swimming lessons an integral aspect of pool safety for kids.
Introduce your kids to these lessons early enough. They will master them as they grow thereby, reducing chances of drowning.
You may consider the following swimming lessons/tricks for your kids:
- Ensure your kid is willing and eager to be in the swimming pool – an important aspect of and child pool safety program.
- Help them have confidence. Let them know water swimming is fun. Show them swimming videos– they will definitely become curious to learn. Maybe, you could consider swimming pool games for kids.
- Get the right swimming equipment. A good example is the floatation device, arm bands, swim vest or swim noodle.
- Teach one skill at a time. For instance, teach your kids how to hold their breath by placing their mouth in water first. You should only progress to nose after they have mastered this first step.
- Design a swimming timetable.
If you can’t do it, hire a professional swimmer.
More sources :
Tip #3: Do You Have Safety or Rescue Equipment? If No, Get One Today!
Swimming is not just a recreational activity, but also a sport. When kids play swimming pool games, they could be susceptible to accidents. You must have quality safety equipment as an important swimming pool rule.
To ensure your kid’s safety, please observe the following:
- No overcrowding in pools
- All safety equipment should be within reach.
- Buy all assortments of rescue equipment – safety buoys, rescue tubes, spine boards, life vests, pool float and first aid kits.
With these in place, you can respond to any emergency situation. Even before you think of calling the paramedics, it is important to perform basic lifesaving procedures.
- Swimming Pool Water Safety
- Best Water Safety Products for Kids and Families
- Pool Safety Equipment – Pool Protection
Tip #4: Train Kids to Save Themselves in Case of Emergency
I find most people ignore this process. At times, you may not realize your kid is becoming unconscious while swimming. So, what should you do?
- As you train kids to be good swimmers also teach them how to respond to emergencies.
- Advise kids to leave the pool whenever they feel uncomfortable
- Train them how to use the safety or rescue equipment.
- If possible, teach them how to perform basic first aid procedures.
- Let them have the habit of calling for help in case of emergency
- Always have a phone by the pool with a speed dial number already set
Always remember, when kids try to save themselves, you will reduce the levels of injury or fatalities. It is an important safety rule for swimming pool that most parents ignore. The fact is, some emergencies may require fast response.
- Baby Swimming Survival Video
- What is Swim Survival Safety™?
- Teaching Your Child This 1 Skill Could Save Their Life in a Swimming Emergency
Tip #5: Active Supervision is Mandatory to Save Kids from Drowning
Don’t leave children alone in the swimming pool. Even the most experienced swimmers still require active supervision.
“Active supervision” does not imply that you go sit near a pool and observe kids as they swim. There are a number of things you need to. It is a vital swimming pool safety guideline.
- Be familiar with swimming pool environment. That is, you need to locate rescue equipment, changes in depth or possible hazards. Remember, small kids are sensitive to changes in water temperature and swimming pool chemicals. The PH must remain balanced at all times.
- Parents should be aware that kids are in the swimming pool.
- Don’t leave a kid around the pool alone.
- Never leave a child in the pool as you take others in the changing room.
- Have a child admission policy.
- Allow only those kids who pass the swimming test.
- Don’t allow sick kids in the swimming pool area.
- All kids should know swimming pool rules and regulations
With these simple rules in mind, you will eliminate any instances of drowning in the swimming pool.
- Water Safety at Public Pools
- Swimming Child Supervision Guideline
- There is no Substitute to Active Supervision
Tip#6: Inspect the pool first in case a child goes missing – every second counts
Well, with active supervision, the chances of a child drowning in the swimming pool will be very minimal. But, what if a child is missing? What should you do and, how can you prevent this?
You should follow these simple rules:
- First destination should be the swimming pool. Any delays may cause fatality.
- Be the last person to leave the swimming pool area. Ensure you lock the door.
- Encourage kids to swim in pairs. When one goes missing the partner can raise an alarm.
- Take roll call immediately kids leave the swimming pool.
The procedures may look simple. However, you’re likely to cause a child his/her life if you ignore any of them. This makes it vital pool safety for toddlers.
- Water Safety – Tips for Parents with Young Children
- Kid’s Corner – Swimming Pool Safety
- Drowning Dangers – Keep Kids Safe Near Water
Tip #7: Let Kids Live a Healthy Life – The Water Must Be 100% Clean
Pool hygiene is paramount if you want your kids to live a healthy life. It is simple safety rule in swimming pool. A dirty swimming pool may cause eye, ear and throat infections. This is due to parasites (Cryptosporidium), bacteria (E. Coli, Shigella) or virus (enteroviruses).
There are 3 main ways to maintain your swimming pool hygiene:
- Install a polycarbonate swimming pool enclosure. It will prevent dust, acid rains and animals from accessing the pool. It will also protect your kids from harmful UV-radiations.
- Use the recommended swimming pool chemicals and maintain PH balance. These chemicals will treat and control germ levels in the pool. You need to test water on regular occasion to ensure its safe.
- Kids should bathe before you allow them to swim.
With these kids pool safety rule in mind, skin infections or diseases will be a thing of the past.
- 10 Swimming Pool Maintenance Tips
- How to Clean Your Own Pool
- Pool Maintenance: How to Clean Your Swimming Pool
Tip#8: Don’t Swim After Taking Medications or Alcohol
Do you know nearly 70% of people who drown are under influence of alcohol? This is common during swimming pool parties.
Both medications and drugs have almost the same effect. In fact, their effects become worse when during hot weathers – summer. There is a high possibility that you will lose balance, coordination and judgment.
It is this simple swimming pool safety tip, never allow a kid to access swimming pool area when sick or taking medications.
Tip #9: Protect Kids from Suction Entrapment- Invest in Quality Drain Cover
Even experienced swimmers get struck in a suction fitting. So, your kids are not exempted. Definitely, if you don’t pull them out, a chance of drowning is quite high. This an important swimming safety tip for kids commonly overlooked.
To avoid this, you should consider the following:
- Replace existing drain covers with the ANSI/ASME approved types
- Swimming pool pumps must run at the recommended speed.
- Emergency shut-off should be easily accessible
- Kids must not swim near drains or any suction fittings. Through active supervision, you should be able to warn them against this.
Basically, to protect your kids from these accidents, ensure your pool is fitted with quality drain cover.
Tip #10: Use Float Lines to Mark Water Depths Conspicuously
It is a better way of controlling regions where kids swim. Remember, commercial swimming pools have varying depths. Where the bottom slope deepens can be dangerous to small kids. This is irrespective of their swimming skills.
With such marks, you can easily control and monitor kid’s activities within the swimming pool. It is this simple, don’t allow kids to swim in the deep end of the pool if you doubt their swimming ability.
This an important safety guideline. Though, most swimming pool owners tend to ignore the use of float lines.
Tip #11: Use Non-slip Materials on The Pool Deck, Diving Board And Ladders
Slipping is a common cause of most swimming pool accidents. Thus, for your kid’s safety, pool deck, diving boards and ladders should have non-slip material. It will completely eliminate the chances of sliding that could lead to drowning. Also, kids may break their limbs or sustain other forms of injuries.
Normally, you can only ensure this done appropriately during the construction process. Here are the key factors you must consider:
- Hire a reputable and experienced swimming pool contractor. He/she will help you choose the right materials for every section.
- Attach the dive board firmly to the pool deck to avoid toppling over.
- Consider a diving board with a solid wood core, reinforced with fiberglass or with acrylic. You may apply non skid tread on the board.
- Use stainless steel for all your swimming pool ladders. They should have grab rails. Remember, kids must swim away from the ladder.
- You have so many pool deck options – stone, tile, wood, ceramic or pebble.
When you consider all these your kids will remain safe at all times.
Tip #12: Kids Must Avoid Swimming Pool During Repair and Maintenance
Swimming pool maintenance or remodeling is a better way to extend the service life span. This may involve:
- Changing entire pool deck and decorations.
- Installing a new polycarbonate pool enclosure.
- Replacing plumbing systems.
- General cleaning and quality assessment.
For the safety of your kids, lock the swimming pool area during this period. In fact, you should have sign post indicating some construction work is going on.
Tip #13: Install a Ladder at Both Ends of Your Swimming Pool
Don’t expect your kids to jump into and from the swimming pool. They risk drowning or even hurting themselves. A reason why you need to install a durable and strong ladder with non-slip.
You should consider the following:
- Install a ladder in both shallow and deep ends of the pool.
- Buy a ladder that conforms to the ANSI/NSPI standards
- No hanging on the ladder
- Inspect the ladder frequently to ensure it is firmly attached to the pool deck.
Remember, these are important pool safety guidelines some people ignore.
Other sources of information:
Tip #14: No Toys Should be Kept Around The Swimming Area
Toys will attract kids around the swimming pools. In fact, cunning kids will do anything possible to access toys stored in the swimming pool area. Even if you have a lockable telescopic pool enclosure, just keep the toys away.
For a fact, allowing kids to swim with toys may cause swimming pool accidents. It is because kids will have divided attention. They will not remember even the simple swimming pool safety rules.
Remember, there are so many entertaining, swimming pool games. Thus, it makes no sense to have toys again.
Other source of information:
Tip #15: No Diving in Swimming Pools: Kids Should Not Even Think about It
Do you know swimming pool diving leads to a number casualties? Actually, this why at times I discourage parents from installing diving boards.
Remember, these are young kids (below 10 years) you are teaching them how to swim. I don’t think if it will be wise to subject them to such horrendous exercise.
Kids at this age are curious. By encouraging diving, or installing diving boards, they will try to emulate all they see in swimming Olympic Games. It is even worse if there are so many kids scrambling for one dive board.
The bottom line is – ban diving and do not install diving boards.
Tip #16: Prohibit Running or Playing Around the swimming pool
No kid should run or play around a swimming pool. It is a swimming pool safety rule that will discourage drowning. It doesn’t matter whether the pool has a dome enclosure, screen cover or pool enclosure.
When kids run or play around swimming pools, they will:
- Try to dive in water
- Slide and fall into the pool
- Make environment around the pool dirty or contaminate water.
There is no excuse here when it comes to this. The only business in this place is swimming.
Tip #17: Do Not Bring Glass or Bottle into The Water Area
Do not allow kids to carry water bottles, glass or energy drinks into the swimming pool. When a glass breaks, it will get scattered all over. This will imply:
- You drain all water to clean glass
- Pieces of broken glass will cut your kids
Cleaning small pieces of glass is a laborious exercise. To avoid this, simply discourage kids from carrying them.
- 12 Steps for Prevention of Recreational Water Illness – CDC
- What You Should Avoid When Swimming in a Pool
When you follow these 17 swimming pool safety guide, kids will remain safe and have fun filled day. All these safety ideas complement one another so, do not implement one, while ignoring another.
In case you have any swimming pool safety concerns or ideas you’d wish to add to our list, Just leave your comment below. We highly welcome your thoughts, experiences and ideas.
If you think it deserves a share , freely to share with your friend to remind them these helpful safety tips.